Monday, July 4, 2011

Just over 2 weeks left

Happy Fourth of July America! Last night our professors decided that it was safe to stand on top of a building with metal rods protruding out from its roof during a lightning storm and create our own fireworks show. What doesn’t sound right?
Yesterday we had lecture in the morning during which an implementation plan was discussed. I ended up staying at the clinic for the entire afternoon and cranked out a good five hours of work. I think I am pretty much done with my part of the second paper—now I can start working on other side projects!
Being in India and working with such a cutting-edge nonprofit are unique opportunities. While my group’s class project is important, it should not and will not consume me. I have put a lot of time into it, and I complete my part as early as possible so that I can enjoy and immerse myself in my surrounding community. For example, working ahead to travel is fun, but sometimes it’s the opportunity to take an extra couple minutes that can provide an even more meaningful experience. When I got back from running last week, two of the men in the guesthouse told me to bathe and then head to their room because they had a surprise. They helped me put a veshti and chettai (white “manskirt” and white top) on and we all went to Bombay Sweets. While he had a very limited conversation as they did not speak great English and I speak even more limited Tamil, it was a really fun evening accompanied by Badam (almond) milk.
Another meaningful anecdote involves Raj, the auto-driver. Two weeks ago I spent a couple extra minutes talking to my “auto” (rickshaw) driver. When it was time to pay, I gave him 100 rupees for an 80-ruppee ride. He said he didn’t have change and would give it to me next time he saw me—I thought this was a textbook example of ripping off the foreigner. Nonetheless, when he saw me yesterday heading home from the office, he stopped me and handed me the twenty rupees. The integrity and respect people show in their actions here is mind-blowing and something I hope to emulate and continue in my life when I return.
In addition to the people, experiencing the culture (especially the local south-Indian culture) has really been a positive addition to my experience on this program. Normally, we are taken to and from the guesthouse to the office—the only place people go outside of these two venues is Hotel Sangum, the fancy hotel in the city for drinks. Instead, I have been going to local restaurants and eating local delicacies and it has been amazing. Eating idlis with chutney off of a banana leaf drinking lime juice in a bamboo hut or drinking tea from a tea stall has been a great way to see the day-to-day life in Tanjore.
I leave for home in two weeks three days. While I am super excited, I want to take advantage and make the most of my time here as well as come back in the future. There is so much more to see and I really enjoy it!
I am at the office so I should probably go back and work ☺

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment