Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Another week (basically) went by

This week has been a whirlwind. Monday we had presentations with the organization’s entire staff, including the founder who used to be head of India’s biggest bank. I presented for my group, and, like everyone, the founder really pushed back. While it was intimidating and challenging for some people, I found it rather stimulating and helpful. After the presentations, we had the entire afternoon and evening to lounge around the resort at which the conference/presentations were held. After a few hours of lounging around/swimming, I returned to the presentations during which I got to hear about all their new initiatives and the inner workings of such a cutting-edge non-profit. It was so interesting and something that really spoke to me—perhaps nonprofit work or business, or consulting or something might something worth considering.
Tuesday was pretty much dedicated to working on our intervention materials and editing the formal paper. 20+ pages (single spaced) later, we have finished the paper! Tomorrow Nancy will present our work once again, this time to the professors.
Wednesday, today, consisted of a few meetings in the morning, a final edit, and a little work for the non-profit that was not related to my project. After working, I went for a long run and it felt amazing. My workout clothes were being laundered for the past three days, and physical activity was something I was desperately needing/wanting. One of the other guests in the lodge in which we are staying gave me a veshti and white chettai (the formal attire Indian men were who are politicians or at a wedding) to wear for the evening. We all went for a local drink (milk and cashews) at Bombay Sweets, and the to the local convenient store called “More.” It was an experience as all of them had their cell phones out and were constantly taking pictures (yes, don’t worry, I got a few for myself too).
Tomorrow I have the presentations, and then it is our weekend. In short, academically this has been a relatively independent week. Tomorrow a big chunk of the group is leaving to go to a vacation spot, but I think I am going to go and visit a friend in Bangalore for the weekend instead. Perhaps some alone time would serve me well—also it is a great opportunity to see a friend from home who is also there. I think I will leave Friday for that, giving me a day or so to relax here before heading out.
This week has been awesome. In the same way that Mexico last summer was great because I tried all the local food (the Izquites from the street vendors), I have been going to the local restaurants. Perhaps I am lucky, or perhaps I have a strong stomach… or both? While I am still avoiding the “true” street food, I have been trying a bunch of local restaurants instead of going to the expensive and Americanized/ otherized Hotel Sangum food (which is also comparatively expensive). I have really wanted to explore and live life like a local Indian, and I finally have my opportunity to do so. I have met some people from the park where I run/play basketball, some people from work, some friends of the boy whose mother runs the guest house etc…. It has taken much longer than I wanted/expected, but better late than never.
On the same note, I have learned and will continue to learn some basic Tamil, I have learned to eat only with my right hand, and I am feeling a little bit more autonomous rather than an animal who is shepherded around. While I am making strong new friendships, I also value the older ones and the depth and closeness to which I have grown with those in my group.
Its crazy to think that in a little over three weeks I will be home in the US. On one hand, I am very excited. On the other, I really love and enjoy Indian culture. As soon as I find some Tamil music, I can say that I appreciate all aspects of Tamil culture. We are way over the halfway mark, and I think that was the hardest part for me---I know the next three weeks will fly by, especially when we have 4-day work weeks and everyone else in this culture has 6- or 7-day long week.s That’s all for now. Good night!
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment