Sunday, June 26, 2011

In town on a Sunday.....


Yesterday I had a pretty intense game of basketball in the morning with Mukesh and his friends. I forgot my water at the guesthouse, so I chugged almost two liters of water when I got back. We had a field visit during the afternoon. While it was extremely unproductive, it is really cool to see the way people from the small villages live. The more time I spend there, the more I love the culture.
            Last night was great.  About half of the group went out with about half of the people working for our partner non-profit and we had a huge dinner at Claypot.  I had a chicken dosai that was delicious with a fresh pureed mango to drink. I even managed to eat the entire meal like a true Indian (only using your right hand).  For dessert, we went to the big Arun ice cream shop and I had black currant and guava ice cream.   It was a great change from the nightly trip to Hotel Sangum.
            It is crazy to think that I have 28 days left before I head home.  On one hand I am ready to be home, but on the other, I am really enjoying Indian culture.  The food, people, and general ambiance is really pleasant (although the temperature could be about 15 degrees cooler).  I would love to come back on a less structured group-oriented program and be able to truly experience and explore deeper into their rich culture.
This morning I went with Eprice and Leslie to the “downtown” area and went shopping—for 70 dollars, I got 2 pairs of nice pants and 2 nice button-down shirts.  We then got fruit and just hung out for a while.
            Tomorrow I am presenting to the ICTPH staff our research/intervention, so I just finished doing a little reviewing for that. In a little bit, I am going to be giving Mukesh another swim lesson.  Other than potentially going the ICTPH guesthouse and having a low-key game night, nothing else is on the schedule. That is it for now.
Josh 

No comments:

Post a Comment